The following lecture outlines the true meaning and conditions of a legitimate Jihaad, undertaken under the ruler of a country; and rebuffs and rebuts indiscriminate killing, terrorist groups and how they have purposely taken the word in an attempt to radicalise the youth.
🔊 Taken from the series of talks: “Selected Points from the Correct Islamic Aqeedah (Creed)”
Jihad remains and will continue with those in authority, righteous or disobedient ones. Neither the oppression of the oppressive ruler nor the justice of the just ruler will nullify this affair. The Jihad is to be performed by those who are able and those who it falls upon.
What is Jihad?
To fight, to strive, to work hard, to face hardship and difficulty are all meanings of Jihad in the Arabic language.
In the shari’ah: “It is to offer that which one is able to within one’s abilities in order to attain that which is beloved to Allaah and to repel that which is disliked by Him” – Ibn Taymiyyah
Ibnul Qayyim mentions 4 types of Jihad:
- Jihad An Nafs – Striving against oneself
- Jihad Ash Shaytaan – Striving against Shaytaan
- Jihad Ahlul Kufr wa Ash Shirk – Striving against the People of Kufr and Shirk. It has rules and regulations which we will come to in Shaa Allaah.
- Jihad Ahlul Bidah wal Fisq – Striving against People of Innovation and Sins.
The greatest of these is Jihad An Nafs. Learning this religion, implementing and actualizing what you have learnt, calling to it and being patient upon it. As Allaah says:
“But strive against them with the utmost endeavour, with it (the Quran)” (25:52)
The Prophet implemented Jihad An Nafs whilst he was in Makkah before migrating to Madinah.
for more information on terrorism and its causes – listen to our playlist with lectures from the last few years:
“Before carrying out Jihad with weapons, one must carry out Jihad of textual evidences from the Quran and Sunnah. This is given precedence over Jihad with weapons. The proof must be taught to the people and be established over the people first.”
When the Prophet sent Muadh to Yemen he told him to teach the people Tawheed first and if they accept this then to teach them the other affairs of the religion. He did not order him to fight with the sword first. This type of Jihad is the responsibility of the People of Knowledge.
Just as Jihad is of different types, likewise the people are of different types. And each type requires a different approach from the people of knowledge in relation to “Jihad Al Burhaan” upon them:
- People of Kufr and Shirk – The people of Knowledge clarify that which Islam is about, the foundations of Islam and Iman. Making it clear to them. Informing them of that which is prepared for those who die as Muslims and for those who die as non-Muslims.
- Hypocrites – Those who outwardly express Islam, yet inwardly they conceal a hatred and rejection of Islam. People of Knowledge explain to them that they must practice and accept Islam sincerely and wholly, expressing it externally through their righteous deeds.
- People of Innovation and Misguidance – Those who oppose Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jama’ah. People of knowledge explain to them the authentic teachings, and pure sunnah. They explain the danger and evil of innovating into the religion. So that the innovations that they are upon may be abandoned.
The one who innovates opposes what is said in the Qur’an when Allaah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’aalah said:
“Today I have completed for you your Religion”.
They are implying that the Prophet did not deliver the full message of the religion of Islam, whether they proclaim it outwardly or not. The Prophet said:
“Whomsover introduces into this affair of ours (the religion) what is not from it, will have it rejected”
Those who innovate into Islam, are not only responsible for their innovations but likewise the innovations of those who follow them, as Allaah says in the Qur’an:
“They will bear their own burdens in full on the Day of Resurrection, and also of the burdens of those whom they misled without knowledge. Evil indeed is that which they shall bear!” (16:25)
- People of Major sins – People of Knowledge clarify to them the evils of these actions, giving them glad tidings of the fact that Allaah will forgive their sins both Major AND Minor sins if they turn to Allaah sincerely in repentance. Allaah says:
“If you avoid the great sins which you are forbidden to do, We shall remit from you your (small) sins, and admit you to a Noble Entrance (i.e. Paradise).” (4:31)
On top of this Allaah will also replace their evil deeds with good deeds. As He says:
“Except those who repent and believe (in Islamic Monotheism), and do righteous deeds, for those, Allah will change their sins into good deeds, and Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful” (25:70)
Physical Jihad is the responsibility of the Muslim rulers in the Muslim lands, not individuals on the street.
Shaykh Fawzaan explains this:
“It is to be done to elevate the word of Allaah (I.e. aid the religion of Allaah). Secondly, it is to be done under the authority of the Muslim rulers and those who are in charge of the Muslim armies. Thirdly, there is not to be any valid treaties nor agreements between the Muslims and the non-Muslims in place. If there are, then to fight them is treachery, which opposes the guidance of the Messenger.”
Islam is not a religion of chaos, it has guidance, our worship has conditions and rules that must be followed.
This lecture was delivered in the immediate aftermath of the Barcelona attacks in August 2017. The speaker strongly condemns these barbaric acts of terrorism and using Islamic literature spanning 14 centuries, exposes the origins of this group, their corrupt beliefs and refutes their arguments. He also explains the true meaning of Jihad in Islam from first principles to leave no room for misunderstanding.