Ustadh Abdulilah Lahmami starts of by talking about the virtues of being patient, quoting an Ayah from the Quran:
إِنَّمَا يُوَفَّى الصَّابِرُونَ أَجْرَهُم بِغَيْرِ حِسَابٍ
Only those who are patient shall receive their rewards in full, without Hisaab (without limit, calculation and estimation) [39:10]
Ustadh Abdulilah Lahmami mentions that there are signs of being patient and thankful, and explains them in detail.
He brings a quote from Sheikh As Saadi who said that the patient ones are grateful with their heart and they are grateful with tongue and they are grateful with their limbs.
Some other key points from the characteristics of the thankful slave explained in this lecture include:
– They put Allah first. They love him first before any of his creations.
– They love him more than their families their children.
– They Love Allah and they strive to do the compulsory and the optional actions of worship.
– They will stay away from what is prohibited, from the haraam.
– They will not commit shirk whether it be small or big.
– Their intentions are purely for the sake of Allah.
Ustadh reminds the listeners of the bounty of Allah and the many things that He has blessed us with – such as our eyes and our hearing and our limbs. The reminder that the speaker uses comes from the saying of Ibn Kathir, rahimaullah,- the best blessing is Islam.
The Ustadh then goes on to the second type of gratitude which is with the tongue, using the following Hadith collected in Muslim:
The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “He who believes in Allah and the Last Day must either speak good or remain silent.”
Listen to the full audio to understand this more