Sahih al-Bukhari – The Book of Tawheed – Lesson 15 (04/03/17)
Chapter 9: The Statement of Allah: “And Allah is Ever All-Hearer All-Seer”. (An-Nisaa’ 4:134)
Today we covered:
- The Tawheed of Allah’s Names and Attributes
Explanation by Shaykh ibn Uthaymeen:
- Two names of Allah: As-Samee, Al-Baseer
- These two names are often mentioned together; Allah hears all your statements and Allah sees all your actions
- Meaning of As-Samee:
- (1) Allah encompasses all that is to be heard.
- (2) Answering the invocations of the one making dua
- The first meaning has three categories:
- General encompassing Hearing of Allah
- Meaning of threat and warning
- Allah is in your aid
- Know that the Hearing and the Seeing of Allah is a hearing and seeing of reality.It doesn’t just mean in the general sense the knowledge of Allah. It is affirmed that Allah has Hearing and Seeing and in addition He Knows everything
- What are the fruits and benefits in learning about these names and attributes, specifically that Allah is All-Hearing and All-Seeing?
Hadith 1: narrated by Narrated Abu Musa:
We were with the Prophet on a journey, and whenever we ascended a high place, we used to say, “Allahu Akbar.” The Prophet said, “Don’t trouble yourselves too much! You are not calling a deaf or an absent person, but you are calling One Who Hears, Sees, and is very near.” Then he came to me while I was saying in my heart, “La hawla wala quwwatta illa billah (There is neither might nor power but with Allah).” He said, to me, “O ‘Abdullah bin Qais! Say, ‘La hawla wala quwwata illa billah (There is neither might nor power but with Allah), for it is one of the treasures of Paradise.” Or said, “Shall I tell you of it?”
- From the first hadith, we learn when ascending we say Allahu Akbar, due to Allah’s Greatness and when descending we say SubhaanAllah, because in general going down denotes deficiency so we say SubhaanAllah – Allah is free from any deficiency
- Benefit from Shaykh Uthaymeen, saying Allahu Akbar when going up in a plane and SubhaaanAllah when descending can be done
- The prophet highlighted that we don’t need to raise our voices loud and burden ourselves, for Allah hears and Allah is near
- What does this mean, that Allah is near?
- Is Allah everywhere?
- Is Allah below us?
- Is Allah the same location as us? Equal to us?
Next week: We will finish the section of Allah Hearing and Seeing, and then begin the section on Allah Forgiving
Benefit: To gain further understanding when we discuss the chains, follow our “Bayqooniyyah in the Sciences of Hadith” lessons on LearnAboutIslam: http://www.learnaboutislam.co.uk/2016/01/18/al-mandhomah-al-bayqooniyah/
The English translation of the hadiths and all the audio are available on: www.learnaboutislam.co.uk/bukhari
Recorded at the Salafi Centre of Manchester on 04/03/17 and streamed live on www.SunnahRadio.Net